TBCE Disciplinary Actions and Statistics: March 2017
Written by Editor   
Thursday, April 06, 2017 12:43 PM

News bite:  There were 35 disciplinary actions reported by the Texas Board of Chiropractic Examiners (TBCE) since their last reporting. 54% were for expired licenses, 26% for lack of diligence, failure to respond to the board, or unregistered facilities, 23% were for expired facility registration.  Almost 63% resulted in cease and desist orders, around 20 to 30% required further testing, and nearly 9% received either a $250 or a $1500 fine.


There were 35 disciplinary actions reported by the Texas Board of Chiropractic Examiners (TBCE) since the last reporting. Important conclusions to take away from this data is 1) remember to renew your license, 2) remember to renew your facility registration, 3) respond to the TBCE when they contact you and 4) be honest and know the rules of your profession.

  • 54% of the total violations were for expired license; 
  • 26% for lack of diligence, failure to respond to the board, and unregistered facilities; 
  • 23% for expired facility registration
  • 17% for submitting false information, fraud, unprofessional conduct, and advertising outside of scope.
  • 14% for failure to release patient records, failure to comply with a board order, failure to display public information, unsanitary equipment, and sexual misconduct.
  • Almost 63% resulted in cease and desist orders.
  • 31% were ordered to pass the Jurisprudence exam.
  • 23% were ordered to pass the EBAS exam or were issued a letter of reprimand.
  • 17% were ordered to pass the SPEC exam, had their license probated, or ordered to pay a $1000 fine.
  • Nearly 9% received a $1500 fine, a $250 fine, or revocation of facility registration.

Violations
Expired license  19
Expired facility registration   8
Lack of diligence and inefficient practice   3
Failure to respond to board inquiries    3
Unregistered facility    3
Submitting false information on facility application    2
Fraud and unprofessional conduct   2
Advertising outside of scope of chiropractic   2
Sexual misconduct    1
Failure to release patient records

  1

Failure to comply with a board order    1
Unsanitary equipment   1
Failure to display public information   1

 

Discipline
Cease and Desist Order  22
Ordered to pass the Jurisprudence exam  11
Pass EBAS exam  4
Letter of reprimand  4
Pass SPEC exam  2
License probated   2
$1000 fine   2
$1500 fine  1
$250 fine   1
Revocation of facility registrations  1

 

Statistics
Active licenses                     5345
Non-renewable license        2653  (expired >1 year, closed at DC’s request, or for non-compliance with CE)
Inactive license                      646
CE-conditional license           325
Expired license                      166
Probated license                      19
Suspended license                    3

Actively registered chiropractic facilities      4218
Expired facility registrations                           341

Actively registered radiologic technologists     48
Expired radiologic technologist registrations    43

 Out of 291 total complaints 63% were for expired license complaints (183) the remaining 37% were for other complaints.  The top three “closed complaints by violation type” were lack of diligence (23), fraud (16) and failure to furnish records (12).


Source: http://www.tbce.state.tx.us/NewsLetter/2017/NLMarch2017.pdf