1907
Written by Chris Dalrymple, DC   
Monday, October 12, 2015 03:23 PM

Following the arrest and conviction of D.D. Palmer, "chiropractic philosophy" still awaited its first acquittal of a DC charged with the unlicensed practice of medicine. The Universal Chiropractic Association’s first major legal victory, however, came in 1907 when Shegataro Morikubo, DC, was successfully defended against charges of unlicensed practice in LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

By 1907 there are 14 chiropractic colleges documented, 7 of them are in Oklahoma City.  In February 1907, after founding the Carver-Denny Kiropractic College at Oklahoma City in 1906,  Willard Carver journeyed to Medford, Oregon in February, 1907, and met with D. D., his old friend, and D. D. Palmer.  

Future Keeler Plaque recipient John A. Kent, D.C., hearing that Carver was going to establish his school in 1907, went to Oklahoma to await its opening and became its first student.  In 1907 he graduated in the first class of five in May 1907.  After graduation he remained at the Carver-Denny Kiropractic College working in the clinic for 6 months.  Later, in October 1907, Dr. Kent, with Drs. Lumm and Gregory, open the Oklahoma Chiropractic University in Oklahoma City.  D. D. Palmer returned and served on the faculty teaching chiropractic philosophy.  Later this school becomes the Palmer-Gregory Chiropractic College.  In October of 1909 Dr. Kent will found the Kent College of Chiropractic in Chicago which operated until about 1918.

Prior to 1907, a Dr. David B. Teems arrives in Sherman, Texas and establishes a chiropractic practice.  Future Keeler Plaque recipient Joe E. Busby, D.C., states that he first learned about chiropractic in 1907 by contact with one of Texas earliest chiropractors, Dr. Teems of Sherman, Texas.  Dr. Busby first became interested in chiropractic because of this contact in 1907 and he went to study at the Boone School of Massage and Physiotherapy in Plainview, Texas.  The president of the School was Dr. S. L. Boone, a graduate of a physical medicine school; faculty members were A. W. Canfil, D.C.; R. B. Longmeier, M.D.; and J. D. Burleson, D.C..  This was one of the earliest schools in the healing arts in Texas.  Dr. Canfil was a prominent citizen of both Plainview and Sweetwater, Texas leaving Plainview in 1912 to manage the Grogan Mineral Wells Sanatarium and Hotel in Sweetwater.

In 1907 Dr. Clyde Keeler begins his schooling at Carver-Denny Kiropractic College.  Dr. Keeler is the founder and namesake of the Texas Chiropractic Association’s Keeler Plaque.

In 1907 the 1901 medical practice act was discarded and replaced by the medical practice act in use today, although it has been amended numerous times including 1915, 1919, 1921, 1923, 1931, 1939, 1949, and 1951.  With this 1907 Medical Practice Act the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners was formed.  The American Medical Association inspected and rejected 32 medical schools and conditionally approved another 46. 

Also in 1907, Radioactivity discovered by Marie Curie;  a Victor Records phonograph recording of Enrico Caruso becomes the first to sell a million copies; Thomas Edison invented the "Universal Electric Motor" which made it possible to operate dictation machines, etc. on all lighting circuits; and Pablo Picasso paints Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, considered by some to be the birth of modern art.


Sources:  http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=51189

http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=17943

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/page/medical-board-history

The Official History of Chiropractic in Texas, by Dr. Walter R. Rhodes; 1978;  Texas Chiropractic Association, Austin, TX 78701

Keeler Committee Biographies; unpublished