1898
Written by Chris Dalrymple, DC   
Monday, August 17, 2015 10:56 AM

In 1898 D. D. Palmer teaches LeRoy Baker enough chiropractic to treat his injuries from an accident at a railroad crossing.  Other students of D. D. Palmer in 1898 include:  W. A. Crawford; Andrew P. Davis, MD, DO; B. O. Morse, L. W. Roberts, DO.

January 15, 1898 – William Ambrose Seeley MD, a homeopathic physician, paid D. D. Palmer $500.00 cash for a period of instruction covering 8 to 10 weeks, and he goes in the history books as the first paying student of chiropractic.  The occasion marks the beginning of the first chiropractic college.

Andrew P. Davis, MD, DO, DC, OPH.D may very well be the first chiropractic doctor in Texas.

Dr. Davis, one of the leading practitioners of the homeopathic system of medicine in Dallas county, was born in Allegany county, New York, March 10, 1835. His father was a noted physician and was recognized as a profound scholar and deep thinker in his day.  

Dr. Davis began the study of medicine about the year 1861. He first made an exhaustive investigation of the eclectic system, after which he turned his attention to allopathy. For this purpose he entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, and was graduated at that institution in 1866. Afterward he practiced that system of medicine constantly for about eleven years. 

He began the study of homeopathy, and graduated at Pulte Homeopathic Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in the year 1877, and this same year he graduated in ophthalmology. 

In about 1879 he moved to Corsicana, Texas, where he was the pioneer homeopathic physician of that place, and successfully and favorably introduced that system in that community. Overwork and failing health forced him to suspend his practice for the time, and he went to New York City, where he attended a six months' course of instruction in the New York Ophthalmic College. He returned to Texas, in the spring of 1880, and settled in Dallas.

Not having attained as much knowledge of medicine as was commensurate with the necessities of his desires, he attended another special course of instruction in orificial surgery.  In 1898 he graduated from D.D. Palmer’s School of Chiropractic and returned to Texas. 

From 1898, perhaps as far back as 1891, until 1906 Willard Carver is attorney for D. D. Palmer.

The home phonograph became popular. "The market for home machines was created through technological innovation and pricing. 


Sources:  The Official History of Chiropractic in Texas, by Dr. Walter R. Rhodes; 1978;  Texas Chiropractic Association, Austin, TX 78701

http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=17943 

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jwheat/membio92/biogs92d.html